skip navigation

2A: Caledonia takes down two-time defending champ Minnehaha Academy

By MATTHEW DAVIS, Special to the Star Tribune, 06/14/18, 2:30PM CDT


The Warriors, playing in their first state tournament, earned a 1-0 victory after holding the Redhawks hit-less for six innings.

Caledonia senior catcher Andrew Goergen tagged out the potential tying run at home plate in the sixth inning to preserve a 1-0 upset of two-time defending Class 2A state champion Minnehaha Academy in the quarterfinals Thursday at Dick Putz Field in St. Cloud.

"I knew it was going to be close. I really had to reach out there and tag him,” Goergen said.

The play came after Minnehaha Academy (16-6) had loaded the bases on walks issued by Caledonia junior pitcher Casey Storlie, who had a no-hitter at the time. Storlie struck out seven batters and had four walks and a hit allowed, going the distance.

“We weren’t making really good contact against him,” Redhawks coach Scott Glenn said. “He was throwing good pitches and mixing up the speeds.”

Minnehaha Academy got its first hit in the seventh on a single by sophomore second baseman Dylan Kiratli. The Redhawks then threatened with runners on the corners with two outs when junior first baseman Roddy MacDonald reached on errors. But the chance ended on a fly out.

Caledonia (22-2) scored its run in the fourth with an RBI single by Goergen, sending home Storlie. Goergen went 2-3 and had a stolen base.

Minnehaha Academy junior pitcher Brock Brumley pitched well, getting nine strikeouts and no walks in seven innings. Brumley held the Redhawks hitless in five of seven innings.

“It was really tough. That pitcher did really well,” said Caledonia junior first baseman Eric Augedahl, who made the throw for Goergen’s tag.

First report

Caledonia broke through for one inning in a four-hit pitching duel to defeat two-time defending state champion Minnehaha Academy 1-0 Thursday in the Class 2A quarterfinals at Dick Putz Field in St. Cloud.

Making their first state tournament appearance, the Warriors (22-2) went ahead on an RBI in the third inning.

The Redhawks (16-6) went hit-less until the seventh.

Check back later for more on the game.

Baseball Hub Headlines