Monday's games produced some wild numbers for Minnesota pitchers and defenders alike. Here are some of the highlights from last night's games.
The state's pitchers put up three no-hitters Monday evening.
Fridley pitchers Collin Borop and Matt Duehn combined efforts to complete a no-hitter in an 8-1 win over Columbia Heights.
St. Paul Academy's Matt Fielder pitched a seven-inning no-hitter in a 4-0 win over St. Croix Lutheran. Fielder walked three batters while striking out 13.
Blake Langerud tossed his first no-hitter for Faribault Academies in a five-inning 12-0 victory over Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton. Langerud walked two batters in the first inning before retiring 13 straight. He struck out eight batters.
Other pitching highlights:
– Carlton's Erik Adams threw a 16-strikeout, one-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over East Central. Adams is just the latest Bulldogs player to have success on the mound, after Colton Godbout threw a seven-inning perfect game April 19.
– St. Anthony Village's Ryan Rush threw a one-hit, 10-strikeout shutout against Brooklyn Center. After allowing a one-out single in the first inning, Rush was perfect from the mound, sitting down 17 batters in a row.
– Norwood-Young America's Tim Swanson threw a one-hit complete game in a 3-1 win over Jordan.
– Minnehaha Academy's Adam Schiffman pitched a two-hit, 10 strikeout shutout against Blake.
– Minneapolis Washburn's Josh Pierce fanned nine batters during a seven-inning, five-hit shutout over Minneapolis Southwest.
Triton gets tripled off
Lake City turned a triple play during its 8-0 win over Triton.
With runners at first and third, Triton's Evan McNeilus lined out to third baseman Logan Thomas. Thomas stepped on third before throwing to first, doubling off both runners.
Lakeville South handed Class 3A No. 1 – and defending state champion – Burnsville its first loss of the 2012 season.
After allowing six runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Blaze trailed by four heading into the top of the seventh. Burnsville plated four to tie the game, but the Cougars' Luke Sather knocked in the winning run in the bottom of the seventh for the win.