Hopkins ace Tim Shannon threw a complete-game three-hitter to shut out Apple Valley 8-0 on Thursday.
• HOPKINS 8, APPLE VALLEY 0: Tanner Holmquist roped the first pitch of the game into the outfield for a hit, and all Hopkins did from there was continue to pour it on Apple Valley.
Holmquist finished 2-for-4 with a double and three RBI, leading the Class 3A, No. 9 Royals past the host Eagles on Thursday afternoon. Hopkins belted 12 hits, more than enough support for ace pitcher Tim Shannon. The Michigan recruit threw a complete-game three-hitter, striking out eight thanks to his upper-80s fastball that blistered catcher Matt Sinderson's glove all game.
"When you're able to score a couple runs right away and you've got your No. 1 guy on the mound you put yourself in pretty good position," Royals coach Neil Lerner said. "It set the tone for us and gave some confidence going forward."
The Royals scored a pair of runs in the first, then after a nifty double play ended Apple Valley's first inning Hopkins tacked on three more in the second. Two came on Holmquist's double.
• BURNSVILLE 6, EDINA 1: The defending Class 3A state champion and No. 1-ranked Blaze scored six runs in the final two innings, pulling away from the Hornets in nonconference play. Burnsville senior first baseman Tyler Vanderwoude went 3-for-4, including a double, with three RBI. The Blaze scored two runs in the fifth to take the lead and added four insurance runs in the sixth.
• EDEN PRAIRIE 11, EASTVIEW 0: There appears to be quite a bit of difference between the No. 2- and No. 5-ranked teams in Class 3A. The second-rated Eagles scored six runs in the top of the fourth inning and didn't have any trouble with the fifth-ranked Lightning in a nonconference matchup in Apple Valley. Junior Luke Lind belted a three-run home run in the inning. He went 2-for-4 with four RBI. Teammate junior Cody Wetmore went 4-for-5 and had three RBI. Seniors Cameron Mingo and Jordan Smith combined on a five-hit shutout. The Eagles added their final four runs in the seventh. Eden Prairie improved to 2-0, while Eastview fell to 3-1.
• ORONO 1, LITCHFIELD 0: Junior Tom Wachman fired a one-hit shutout as the Spartans beat the Dragons in Wright County. Wachman struck out six and walked two.
Stillwater wins in 12th
• STILLWATER 4, ROSEVILLE 3, 12 INN.: Sophomore Natalie Gerber delivered a run-scoring hit in the bottom of the 12th inning, giving the Ponies a victory over the Raiders in Suburban East play. The game was scoreless for 10 innings before both teams scored three runs in the 11th. Stillwater junior Haley Balzart had a bases-loaded triple with two outs in the bottom half of the inning. Ponies pitcher Rachel Rhode struck out 21.
• TOTINO-GRACE 13, COOPER 3: Senior Nicole Rogers went 3-for-3, including a home run, scored four runs and drove in three, leading the Eagles past the Hawks in the North Suburban.